What: Rally for Student Civil Rights & Amply Funded Schools
When: 10:30-11:30 am, January 16th, 2017 (MLK, Jr. Day)
Where: Capitol Steps, Olympia
On January 16, 2017, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we will go to Olympia, advocate, and rally! We need you to add your voice to thousands of other voices to demand full and equitable funding of public education! WPD, NAACP, and WEA are co-sponsoring a rally to demand that our state fully fund public education now! WPD envisions a future where every child has an equitable access to an amply funded education. Fully and equitably funding public schools is a civil rights issue! Together, we can make our future vision a reality.
Participants are encouraged to stop by their legislators’ offices after the rally. We will provide advocacy materials, maps and guides.
EVENT DETAILS FOR RALLY
• Please plan to bring your own snacks and water.
• Be prepared for rain.
• We are working to secure some indoor space for children in case of bad weather.
- Washington’s Paramount Duty
- League of Women Voters of Washington
- El Centro de la Raza
- Washington Education Association
- Washington State PTA
- Public School Employees, SEIU
- School Nurses of Washington
- Northwest Progressive Institute
9:30 to 10:15 – Check in, get signs, take photo booth pictures (post to FB and twitter with hashtags #waleg and #waedu), fill out messages to your legislators, pick up materials for legislative visits, etc.
10:15 to 10:30 – Everyone makes their way to the Capitol Steps with signs, banners, etc.
10:30 to 11:10 – Rally on the Capitol Steps – Speakers from all the sponsoring organizations have been lined up including students, teachers, and our very own Summer Stinson!
11:15 to 11:20 – March around the Capitol to the legislative office buildings.
11:20 to 12:30 – Teams of parents, teachers, and allies will deliver letters, postcards and the Student Bill of Rights to all legislators – to each of the 49 legislative districts. After the visits, teams will return signs and check out.
- There is ample street parking and visitor parking in the vicinity that will be free.
- Visitor parking details for the Washington State Capitol Campus are: http://www.des.wa.gov/…/travel-car…/parking/parking-visitors
POST-RALLY LUNCH OPTIONS
- Fifth Avenue Sandwich Shop, 117 5th Ave SE, Olympia, WA
- Our Table, 406 4th Ave E, Olympia, WA
- Arepa (Venezualan Food), 728 E 4th Ave, Olympia, WA
- Pizzeria La Gitana, 518 Capital Way S, Olympia, WA
CARPOOLING: For those of you who would prefer to drive, or if the bus is full, we encourage you to self-organize carpooling via this facebook event. If you would like to help organize carpooling in your community, please post a meet up location in this thread and I will incorporate and update to include in shared WPD transportation info.
Doug Petro, 360-943-1776
Sharon Dolan, 360-425-8900
Pam Kruse: firstname.lastname@example.org
Renee Verone: email@example.com